Monday, May 16, 2011

gabriel

Joshuany Lopez

Gabriel Orozco

I remember first hearing about Gabriel Orozco in my tenth grade art class. I
didn't pay much mind to my teacher when she spoke of him because I didn't take
art class very seriously. That was until she presented us with a slide show of
his amazing work, of what he called "art". I have always thought that art was a
drawing or a painting on a piece of paper, but Gabriel Orozco has proved that
art is more than ink on a paper. A specific type that dragged me into learning
more about him was the 'Dark Wave', he took the skeleton of a Rorqual whale and
hung it up in the middle of an empty room in order to show the interplay of
object and space. It was breathtaking, and I would love to see it in person
sometime soon. 

Gabriel Orozco was born in Veracruz, Mexico on April 27, 1962 and he has always
been into art. He attended the Escuela Nacional de Arte Plasticas in Mexico City
and then attended the Circulo de Bellas Artes in Madrid, Spain (ART21, Inc. ;
paragraph 1). He emerged in the beginning of the 1990s as one of the most
original artists of his generation. His work was unique and intellectual
(Artbook.com). He has traveled the world to contain the originality within' his
art (Artfacts.Net).

Orozco is best known for his "My Hands are My Heart" work, which he made in the
19th century. He would press the fingers of both his hands into a lump of soft
clay and with a swift squeeze moulded it into the shape of a heart. This
especially fascinated the british audiences (Telegraph.co.uk). He works with
sculptures, skeletons and recycled objects. He enjoys showing geometric shapes
in his work, proving that math is everywhere in the world.

Through Orozco's career, his artwork has always been defined unique, original,
magnificent and intellectual. "His art caught the imagination of my entire
family!" "Very inspiring and thought provoking, coupled with amazing
craftsmanship and draftsmanship." "The work was intelligent, articulate,
obsessive and intriguing." (Tate.org.uk).
Orozco once said "I think every game is a universe in a way, or every game is an
expression of how the universe works for different cultures" (ART21, inc).
Orozco likes making new rules when it comes to his art work. When he makes these
rules, it helps keep each and every art work he creates different from each
other.

I enjoy all of Gabriel Orozco's artwork. It does make me think and it does
provoke me to use my imagination, and many things do not, so for his artwork to
be able to do that to me it makes it genius. "My Hands are My Heart" is my
favorite from him, because it is amazing what your hands and the way you hold
something can create. It looks weird and it isn't like anything I have seen in
an art museum before.

No comments:

Post a Comment