Sunday, May 22, 2011

Cai guo-Quiang


   


    Am here thinking how boring can this be. I hate writing and have to write about an artist which is even worst. To me art is just boring, a simple color of paint on a piece of paper of landscape, flower or animals. After I look at my artist Cai Guo-Qiang I was stunt with what I found. His way of art to me I find it kind cool, I never knew art could be express this way after all it’s not boring but interesting in a way.

        Cai Guo-Qiang is a Chinese Contemporary Artist, who was born on 1957 in Quanzhou City, Fujian Province, China. His father was a historian and landscape painter who also practiced calligraphy (Theme). Cai studied stage design at the Shanghai Drama Institute from 1981 to 1985 and attended the Institute for Contemporary Art (art21 pbs). Cia is internationally know for his elaborate sculpture installations and gunpowder art (met museum). He is one of the first artists to hold a solo exhibition at the completely renovated Shanghai Bund Art Museum (jingdaily). He presently living and working in New York.

        Cai is famous know for his work using gunpowder, one of  his famous display work he done was at the opening at 2008 Beijing Olympics and here in New York “I want to believe” at the Guggenheim Museum. The curator describe it “nothing if not action packed” also Roberta Smith writes, “the galleries are so rife with the sound of  explosion and slight of suspended object and wildlife.”(Times).He s one of the first artist to have a solo extabition. .(Times)

            According to an interview with Theme Magazine Cai stated, he was inspired by Chinese mythology and theme power, class and defeatism even those his father wanted him to be in to the art he was like Chinese art, but Cai wanted to do his own thing and stand out. Cai produce his first piece using the ancient Chinese invention of gunpowder which was an pivotal moment for him but he was still struggling to find his signature from of expression, which later on he became famous for.(theme).

            I can say for myself that after exploring Cai Guo-Quing work it has given me a total different way to look at art. I think his creating of “I Want To Believe” was really amazing and am sure as soon he keep a new show in New York I sure will go to experience it. I think it’s really cool how he know how much gunpowder he need to use to make a creation of his art, Cai said that “I like thing that are hard to control” (Jing).


No comments:

Post a Comment